Sunday, October 19, 2014

Let there be Light

After living in our home for 20 plus years we, ok mostly me , decided  it was time to change up a few things.  One son out of college and one almost out of college, we/ I felt like it was time to make some changes. Natural light is so important to me and in certain areas of our home it was lacking.  You've heard the expression about  " first impression being so important", well we/ I, decided to change our front door and make a grand first impression and bring in some much needed natural light. It was perfect timing as our original door molding was failing from twenty plus  years of moisture and failed flashing.  I obsessed a bit ( I am so O so D) and wondered if by adding a door with glass to the front of our home, would I  be taking away from the architectural details that I have always loved.  Well, I don't think it did, in fact,  I think we've made an incredible first impression .  There are times when I do something different in our home and it takes me a while to  decide whether  I love it or hate it.  But not this change, I immediately loved it. No more coming downstairs in our underwear but, I can deal with that.
Another change coming is our kitchen.


Our kitchen has stood the test of time. By using classic elements like white wood shaker style cabinets, subway tile, honed Carrera marble, hardwood floors and stainless appliances we created a space that is timeless. Our kitchen is over twenty years old but could pass ( if you don't look to hard) as a kitchen recently built.  However, if I knew then what i know now, this room would be twice as big.  I'd forgo a formal living and formal dining room and have our kitchen be our "command central". We love to entertain with small , medium and large gatherings;  no matter what we do to try to bring the gathering into other areas of our first floor, everyone always ends up in the kitchen.  So the wall going into the pantry is coming down, upper cabinets are going  , a large island is coming in and the L section of our bottom cabinets are leaving. We'll be adding windows with simulated true divided grills to replace  the small window above the sink.   Stay tuned, as I can't wait to share this with you.

10 comments:

A Perfect Gray said...

can't wait to see...donna

Unknown said...

I can't wait either!

Emily said...

so pretty the way it is...you have done a great job caring for your home so it still looks fantastic after so many years! can't wait to see the changes!

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Love your new front door & can't wait to see the changes in your kitchen!
Leigh

Michelle said...

Love the front of your home! Stunning! Excited to see your kitchen...

Sarah Chase said...

That kitchen... oh my I love it!!

Kelly@Bungalow Blue said...

Love the front door and I can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen! I have always loved your house and to read that your kitchen is 20 years old just goes to show that classic materials and lots of white will always stand the test of time!

Pool Party in Gurgaon said...

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

Unknown said...

That kitchen looks amazing. I showed my husband and he said they would make my dreams come true and emulate that kitchen some how. i know it wont look as great as this but we will give it our best shot. Thank you for sharing this with us. Keep up all the hard work you do. Kind regards thank you.

Lynne Hollaran @ Suburban Glass Service, Inc.

Ronald Armeen said...

I decided to tackle an electrical issue myself, and needless to say that I killed all the lights in the house for two days. My family was bout to lose it when I discovered what I had done wrong and then we had lights once again. You would think that we won the lottery the way everyone so so excited to see again.

Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware