Monday, January 7, 2013

Embrace your COUNTRY

My living room that has been opened up to my family room

I"M A LITTLE BIT COUNTRY, I"M A LITTLE BIT ROCK AND ROLL.....
So goes the song by Donnie and Marie Osmond.  It resonates with me a bit.  As a designer, I was told awhile ago that "country" wasn't really in anymore...I took a bit of umbrage towards that statement.  I've always been a bit country in my design.  Going on 24 years of marriage, I started out with many pieces that were either purchased or inherited and if you've read my blog for awhile, you'll see that my husband is someone who thinks that unless something is broke, you don't replace it.  So, I've added contrast to most of my rooms and tried to tweak some of the things that I could easily tweak.  Matt and I decided to open up the room from my living room to my family room.  We took out the pocket doors (that never worked properly) and removed about a foot of wall on each side of the opening; just enough to make the room appear as one large space, but not enough to have to add expensive beams for support (as this is a supporting wall).  My hope was that our beautiful living room would be enjoyed and used.  It was one of those spaces that no-one ever went in.. I added the Holly Alderman lithograph, framed by my amazing framer Peter, owner of Fast frame on East berkley street in Boston.  The piece is such a great contrast to my super white (Ben Moore) flat walls and Satin Impervo glossy trim.  My next plan is to have my british colonial chairs painted a dull black.. I'd like to replace them but as Matt says, " if they aint broke" (actually, he doesn't say that but I think it would be a lost cost solution) and they really are beautiful.







Photo Eric Roth


I moved the modern white bureau to another room and added the piece above.





Our family/living room from another angle.  Many contrasts (wood and metal...shiny and dull...black and white...leather and upholstery).


Here is a space that works for us.  The gorgeous piano; inherited from Matt's grandmother takes center stage.  I've tried to add similar elements to both areas, like the pottery Barn heathered chenille rug ( I've actually order two from Merida Rug that are larger, but have amazing texture)  I've pulled  black into both spaces with frames, lights, mirrors, art work.  And that gorgeous green that you see on the leather with pillows has been added as a throw in the living room and  with several accents.  Being "Country" can work with any style of decorating.  I added contrasts to many of the rooms with contemporary, clean lined accents and furnishings.  Because everything is so simple ,  it works.  We also changed out our family room sliders and added these beautiful, true divided french doors .  The piece to the left was once in our bathroom and now adds clean and simple lines ( it's the image above...i am so bad with the computer...sorry).
view from the kitchen, we added hardwood to the family room years ago  and although I wished it all went the same direction, I love the warmth it adds and is SOOOOOOOO low maintenance.
The Thomas O' brien Hicks pendant is one of my favorite additions.  Talk about contrasts, my farmhouse table could not be more "country" and the Hicks pendant could definitely be considered "modern" but it works so well together .


My good friend Chuck Hrenchuk (contractor to the stars, owner of  Attention to detail),  made me the gorgeous black framed bulletin board in my mud room area..

My dining room stayed the same however, I'm thinking of spraying my wicker chairs black and adding a new light fixture.






My stairs have a new runner and I'm having the railings painted black.  The walls have become a gallery of sorts for me.  Important photographs, kids art work, letters are all framed and grouped together.

And lastly, I need to give a shout out to my modern, country beautiful puppy, Stella.  She's made an amazing difference in our lives , we miss Lilly dearly but love Stella's energy and personality.  
Beautiful Stella




So, as the song goes,  you can be a "Little bit Country and a Little bit "what-ever it is you like.  The only person it has to matter to is you (and maybe your partner..yes definitely your partner..looking to make 25 years).
All my best, kelly

14 comments:

Deena said...

So happy to see more posts from you, Kelly! I really enjoy your sense of style, and am looking forward to seeing more of it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I love it and think its the perfect mix of country and rock n roll! Would you share the source for your runner? It looks fabulous and will look even better with the black handrail.

Karen said...

I can see the country in your home and everything blends in beautifully, especially stella. She really looks like a lively and alert dog and pretty too. In the end your home only has to please you and no one else.

Mairéad said...

Your new puppy is a beauty. Love your house - it's a home that's lived in, not a show house.
I'm very much a 'country' gal too, but given that we live in an old farmhouse, it's with a vintage twist as we don't believe in throwing stuff out either, so it's nice to find that we're suddenly fashionable!

Unknown said...

So happy to find your blog. I am posting some of your rooms from Yankee this week! I love Stella, and am getting a new golden retriever puppy this weekend!
Have a great week.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Rachel Bishop said...

I'm a new reader that found your blog through Paula at Two Ellie. I love your living room/family room! And your styling tips in the previous post. De-cluttering is always my biggest challenge but looking at your home makes me want to recommit :) I love all of the white mixed with the aged wood and worn-in leather.

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to see you blogging again! I find your clean and simple style to be so refreshing and inspiring!

Anonymous said...

I love your style! And love your posts! What brand is your leather sofa, I love it too!
marsha.kern@yahoo.com

l o v e l y t h i n g s said...

I just saw your house at Two Ellie...Oh my gosh...I LOVE it! I never use all caps...ever. Love all your art going up the stairs, the large photo above the leather sofa, your collection of little stools and of course your light fixtures. Lighting is so important...every lamp, shade, pendant is just gorgeous. I even travel with a couple of 15 watt bulbs and a strand of twinkle lights and candles. Love your baskets and jars too...I could just keep going...I think you get how much I love your work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
So glad to see more pics of your home! Stella is so sweet & beautiful! Please don't get rid of your dining room light fixture. I've always loved it & think it goes perfectly in that room. Really like the large, black bulletin board you had made. Sometime, could you show us a close up of what kinds of things you hang on it & if it's at all organized (unlike mine!).
Thanks, Leigh

Kelly McGuill said...

Thanks Leigh, I'll keep it, i sometimes need to hear that from another source. I will definitely show you an up-close of the bulletin board. The frame and the board really beautiful. I got homesope(sp) board from Home depot, it comes 4 feet by 8 feet. My friend Chuck made the frame and hung it for me (so talented and kind), he also painted it and painted the board. The homesoap board acts like a bulletin board. I'll take a pic and post it, not at all organized but a great spot for pictures, college acceptance letters, postcards,take out menus, etc....

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly - I found your blog via Two Ellie. Your home is gorgeous. I think I just pinned every single image in your latest post.

I love the farmhouse table in your kitchen - I'm looking for one exactly like it for my own kitchen. Could you tell me where you bought it?

Thanks!
Jenna Farrell

jennaeve80@hotmail.com

The Vintique Object said...

I love seeing all of these different views of your house. It's cool to see how they all connect with one another, and I just adore the fact that you intend to paint a few more things black!
Camille

SHERRY HART said...

Total perfection...i could not love your style more....