Monday, November 1, 2010

Thank you Aunt Sadie


Have you ever fallen in love with something that you couldn’t have (please note I said something, not someone!). Well. about ten years ago I walked into  Aunt Sadie’s; a fabulous shop in the South End of Boston, and it was love at first sight. The way the tin was distressed, the flickering of the neon lights, the strong silence it projected as it hung on the wall ----- I was in love... Sadly, when I asked the clerk if it was for sale, I was told no. I left heartbroken, but visited the shop often to admire my love and dream of what might have been.


About a month ago, I was in  town at a prop shop for an upcoming photo shot and my mind wandered to Aunt Sadie’s, so I thought I’d stop in for a visit. There he was “GUESTS”, just looking down at me, longing for the day when he’d come home with me. Of course I asked again if it was for sale, but was told no. I left my number with the hopes of a change of heart. Much to my surprise, a few days later I received a call from Gary, one of the owners letting me know that if I wanted it, I could have it! Oh, my heart skipped a beat, finally!
Now , the problem was bringing my new love  home to my current loves---and asking them to help me hang it.
Yes, there were some snickers and rolling of the eyes, but eventually my wonderful husband Matt and fabulous son Casey spent a good chunk of their Saturday hanging this incredible sign( which weighs a ton and had to be grounded).
I love it...thank you
Matt, Casey and Aunt Sadie








19 comments:

michelle said...

Cool sign!!! It never hurts to ask! :) They did an amazing job hanging it too!! :)

Julie Johnson said...

It is amazing! Love it!!

Kathysue said...

OMgosh it is amaaaaazing, how fun to walk into that room every day and see that, Lucky YOU!! Kathysue

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

Fabulous~good for you for asking and not giving up

Angie said...

I LOVE it!!!!!!!!

MaryBeth said...

I love it, amazing that you finally got it and it looks great.

Nenaghgal said...

Kelly - the sign looks great - I love your persistance!

Ness Lockyer said...

WOW...as they say "good things come to those who wait".
Oh and Happy Birthday for the other day Kellie. Hope your day was awesome.
Ness xx

Anonymous said...

Kelly! I, too, love that wonderful shop. Talk about a gorgeous aesthetic. That sign rocks - a perfect birthday gift for you!
xxoo

designchic said...

Now that's a statement piece...love it!

Living It At Home said...

Love, love, love it! Good for you that you kept up after it! I live in MA and never been to that shop...will have to check it out! I love how quirky it is! Great find!

scone said...

Bold!

Seagrass Interiors said...

What a find! Persistance really does pay off!

Melissa

A Perfect Gray said...

perfection.

An Urban Cottage said...

Kelly,
I love stuff like this. It feels very European like a French enameled house number. Steve

24 Corners said...

So great!! You were meant for each other..."he" looks fabulous and very at home.
xo J~

Ann said...

That's so cool, both the post and the sign...

There's nothing like getting what we want:)

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

That is SOO full of personality...meant to be...eh?

And just a tad of Norman Bates is good for every kitchen...

;)

Mary Frances said...

Never, ever give up on a dream!!