Thursday, December 10, 2009

Kelly Love...Wearstler that is











On a recent trip to southern California my family stayed at the Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica. As we approached the hotel I got this excited giddy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Was it the long car trip from LA ...no. It was a hotel designed by Kelly Wearstler; acclaimed interior designer, model, television star, stick thin, beautiful and very rich woman...(she's not happy). When I entered the hotel I knew I had a revelation (small one but worth mentioning) I tried to take in every detail on the inside and out. I started snapping away and before long Matt leaned over and said to me ..."Don't you think you should be taking pictures of the kids, not the walls?” I was in trouble; this was a life changing event...well not really. But it was a design changing event. You see, I've tried for several years to break free from the "country" stuff but it’s a lot harder than it may seem. Over the years I collected beautiful Danish pine pieces which scream "COUNTRY". When I stepped into the Delfina I knew that I needed to make some changes. Of course, within reason. Here are the elements that I loved about Kelly Wearstler's Delfina...Without screaming modern there was warmth from textures, colors and accessories. Her use of browns and blues were so welcoming. Grass cloths used throughout the first floor made all of the elements flow. Her mix of herringbone, leather, wood, glass, bronze, and her famous trellis design left me wanting more. So much so that when I got home I ordered a number of her books on Amazon. To my surprise and disappointment I really didn't care for a lot of her other designs. I know she's a design god but I found many of her works over the top, for me...That said, she is an amazing designer but my "girl crush" has dwindled a bit. http://www.kwid.com/

No comments: