Thursday, December 30, 2010

Make a grand entrance!

We've all heard the saying before that you can only make one first impression. Well, that got me thinking when I picked up the latest copy of Veranda magazine (feb issue). The foyer on the cover is so welcoming and beautiful and inviting .. I don’t have much of a foyer or entrance in my home. I’ve tried to make the best first impression by adding two really large rectangular mirrors on one wall ,in hopes of making the space seem larger and on the other wall I’ve added my photo grid of black and white pictures of my adorable sons with Pottery barn frames . If you’re lucky enough to have a foyer or if you have only a small space, why not make it a space that’s inviting and makes that amazing first impression. Clear out the clutter and add a fabulous table ,some amazing artwork or something that speaks to you...what ever it may be…Here are some of my favorite entrances….And speaking of first impressions, you have all made such an amazing first impression on me (and second and third, and so on). Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog. I started this a year ago as a way to have fun and share some ideas…Your comments make me so happy . Thank you, thank you, thank you….you’ve made such an impression…xo, kelly

















house beautiful, Stephen Knollenberg,Peri Wolfman and Charles Gold, coastal living, coastal living, house beautiful, coastal living, house beautiful, country home, veranda; meredith hutchinson, kelly mcguill home

19 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

I love that first foyer. It's also got what I love about your interiors with the reduced color palette and that little splash of green. I also love the creels on the newel post. I just discovered them at an antique store in Maine and I'm totally smitten with them.

Glad you started, Kelly. You've really inspired me. Happy New Year!

Steve

Karen said...

I'm a new follower of your blog, thank you for such great inspiration and have a happy new year!!!

Kathysue said...

Hi Kelly, Happy New Year to you too!! I am really glad you started a blog, I love your content. the first entry is one of my all time favorite pictures, I would love to have a center-hall table like that. I did a post a while ago on entries also you might enjoy the read,
http://goodlifeofdesign.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-is-your-entry-saying.html

I agree with exactly what you said.Our entries are such an important introduction to our homes.
It has been a pleasure visiting your blog and I look forward to many more visits in the coming year. Happy New Year,Kathysue

Dianne said...

Happy new year Kelly! Your foyer is my favorite!

fialka012 said...

Krásné...

Tina said...

Happy New Year Kelly!! I love all of these gorgeous images, thank you for all the inspiration you have given me through your blog. Cannot wait to see what 2011 will bring :) ~ Tina xx

Claire said...

Great ideas - even though I now live in a small townhouse I am going to rethink what everyone sees when the first enter. Maybe I'll start on the outside steps and work my way inside!

Kelley said...

Hi Kelly, I follow your blog and don't comment often but I really enjoy your work and love what you have time to post!

thanks for inspiring

kelley...with an e y

Ange said...

Great post Kelly. What a wonderful selection of foyers (even if some are larger than my daughters bedroom!).
Have a safe and happy New Years Eve and a wonderful 2011 :o)
Angex

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oooooo. LOVE a great entrance. And each of these images IS a good one!

I've always wanted enough of a foyer to be able to put a round table in it...one day. maybe.

A wonderful twenty~eleven to you and yours!

24 Corners said...

The live tree in entry way #9 is so cool!
We have a very large foyer that opens up directly into *the living room that has no walls*...and I can't wait to start playing around with it. The entry at least has one wall, but the other is paneled, it will be very interesting!
The multitude of pictures grouped together in your foyer offers such a warm welcome, so nice!

Happy New Year!!!
xo J~

Jenny said...

Happy New Year Kellie, I love the entrances you have featured. It is one area I need to focus on this year too. ;-)

Living It At Home said...

I love these "first impressions" also! My foyer is so bland and boring compared to these! Firstly, it has little light, secondly, it is a pass through so it is hard to add extra furniture in there. I will have to try better! Thanks for sharing these! Happy New year to you~ xojamilyn

Margitta said...

Hi Kelly!
Just wanted to say, I get so inspired by the pictures of your beautiful home - they make me wanting my house to look as clean and calm!!! I'm a new follower... of to buy some green apples. Greetings from Norway!
Margitta

{darlene} said...

I am in love with your style and your choices here. So glad I found your blog. I will be following, for sure!
Hope to see you at Fieldstone Hill!
{darlene}
www.fieldstonehilldesign.com

Kelle Dame said...

I'm in love with the first foyer too! All of them are just gorgeous! They really make me wish I had one! I guess I have a little one, but you have to walk really far into the house to see it.I guess I'll pretend it's a foyer anyway :)
Happy New Year!
Kelle
xx

thepaperroSe said...

just checking in for the first time! Love the 'brightness' of your pictures...now a follower.....

the gardener's cottage said...

hi kelly,

i wonder if you have any thoughts/ideas about small homes that have no official entry. how do you address that situation? thanks.

~janet

Brad Fallon said...

I love all of these gorgeous images! I'm in love with the first foyer. Happy 2011!